Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Large Photo Board

Temple Print Project


I have wanted a large picture of the temple to hang on my wall but they are so expensive. I couldn't justify spending $200+ on a picture. I try to be frugal. "Try" being the operative word. When it comes to crafts....not so much!
 I went searching for any ideas on how to make my own. I stumbled upon this post by Sugar Bee Crafts! She used a giant foam board but I wanted mine to be a little fancier! I found the solid Pine board 24"X72" at Lowe's. I've also seen them at Home Depot! The board is about $38 and it will make 2 giant pictures! I found my print of the temple on Cari Osborne Photography! She has multiple prints of many  different temples that are free to use for personal use. She will also sell you the copyright if you want to use them to sell. Beautiful photography!!! I printed my 20"X30" Print  at Costco for only $8.99. 

With my Print and board in hand I had my DH cut the board to 24"X34". He then used his router and gave it a fancy edge! YAY!
I stained the outer 4 inches with Minwax Ebony stain. Using Mod Podge I used a foam brush and painted a thin coat on the board. This is where it gets kinda tricky. Trying to place a giant print on a sticky board. If you can get help with this part it will help. Place your photo on your board making sure it is even with all sides. Use a plastic scrapper or clean foam roller and make sure your print is adhered to the board. 
I then used a photo texture cream that I found at Wood Creations and using a foam roller I rolled the cream over top of the photo. This will make your photo look and feel like a canvas print. It will also seal your photo. 
Once this was dry I placed a decorative boarder around the photo to hide the edge and make it look finished. I used a wood glue to adhere the boarder onto the board. I sprayed the wood with a clear coat to seal the wood and give it a shine. Trying not to get the clear coat on your photo.
I then used a heavy picture hanging kit to hang the photo on my wall. I love it!!
This is another project I did with a smaller sized piece of wood. I used Photoshop to add the Name and Date when we went through the temple. I didn't put a decorative boarder on this one. I used some sand paper and roughed up the edges of the photo for a distressed look. I also painted this board red, sanded the edges and stained over top to add to the distressed look.
Good luck with your project! You will love the finished project and the price!!




No comments:

Post a Comment