Friday, February 7, 2014

Come unto Christ wooden blocks


The theme this year for the youth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is "Come unto Christ and be perfected in Him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness" Moroni 10:32. As a Young Women leader, we decided to make these for our young women for Christmas. Our girls absolutely loved them and it reminds them of their commitment to Come unto Christ.
These would make a cute, cheap, easy craft for Girls Camp or other Young Women activity. 

I bought a 12 foot long 2"X6" board and had my wonderful Husband cut them each 7" long. The final measurements of the piece of wood is about 5 1/2" X 7" X 2".

I sanded the piece of wood and applied some wood stain. The finish I used is called Ebony. 

You then need a 4"X6" picture of Christ which I had printed at Costco for $0.13 each and Mod Podge. I like the glossy look so I use glossy Mod Podge. Put a thin coat of Mod Podge on the back of your photo and center on the wood. Press down and make sure you don't have any bubbles under the photo. I like to use small scrapper to make sure it is sealed nicely to the wood. I let this dry for a few minutes then take a piece of sandpaper and sand around the edges of the picture. This gives it a worn look and I think, a finished look. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over top of your photo and let dry. it will look white at first but I promise it dries clear! I finished the project with a finale that I bought at Wood Creations for $0.79. You can also find these at Walmart in their craft section but they are much smaller and just didn't look right to me. I've heard that you can buy them at Lowes too but I could not find them at my local Lowes. I hot glued the finale on top in the center then tied a cute ribbon around the finale to finish it off! 

I searched for the picture of Christ on Google then used 
Photoshop elements to edit the photo and add Come unto Christ!

You can make this project for around $1.25 each. 
So cute and easy to do!!


Here are the pictures I used if you would like to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment